Live and Thrive
Working Community Garden Group
Garden tours, work to do, food, etc.
Garden members and non-members are invited!
Invite a friend
What's happening in the gardens this week and work to do:
Saturday, March 8, 1 - 3 PM
We'll do a quick tour of the Holladay A & B Gardens but spend MOST of our time in Holladay C Garden
NOTE: If you can work in Holladay A & B Gardens anytime early next week (preferably Monday through Wednesday), during daylight hours, let me know. You may be working on your own but if you'll come during our group Saturday work session, you'll see exactly what needs to be done next week.
Where to find us:
1 - 1:10 PM: Holladay A Garden: 2836 E Casto Lane (5060 South)
Meet me back near the greenhouse in my backyard. I'll show you how fast the garlic is coming up along with a lot of our early spring crops i.e. spinach, lettuce and other salad greens in the greenhouse. Not time to harvest yet. We need to gather some tools and supplies together then quickly head over to Holladay B Garden, about 2 minutes away. Most of the work that needs to be done in this garden will happen during the week next Monday - Wednesday.
1:15 - 1:30 PM: Holladay B Garden, 2650 East Milo Way
I'll quickly show you what needs to be done in this garden and drop off some tools and equipment. Check out all the peas we planted a few weeks ago. Most of the work in this garden will also happen next week during the week. We also need to load up a whole bunch of bricks from this garden and take over to the Holladay C Garden.
1:35 - 3 PM: Holladay C Garden, 2225 East Fardown (near 6000 So. 2300 E. area)
Follow me over to this garden, approx. 5 minutes from the other 2 gardens. This is where we will spend the bulk of our time.
Specific Work to be done in all 3 gardens:
- Fix hole in greenhouse roof -
- Set auto timer for drip line system in greenhouse -
- Light weeding in greenhouse: 32 rows
- Light weeding in and around 60 ft. of garlic patch
- Take Pitch Fork to B Garden
- Take extra fence posts to B Garden
- Take zip ties to B Garden
- Take several seed packages of early spring veggies to C Garden
- Take tools to loosen dirt in B Garden
- Take fence post pounder to B Garden
- Use pitch fork to tidy up compost pile
- Move it away from peas
- Many of the peas we planted a few weeks ago need to be covered again. Rain exposed them.
- Fix a few fence posts w/ zip ties
- Pound in a few fence posts to help secure fence
NOTE: If anyone has ANY extra fence posts or 4' rebar they can donate, let me know.
Load bricks into my white truck - to take to C Garden
- Straighten black plastic that is currently in this garden
- Secure it with bricks
- Use action hoes in between black plastic to loosen dirt
- Create furrows
- Plant more spinach, lettuce, other salad greens
LUNCH SERVED AFTER 1:35 PM IN THIS GARDEN
Once this garden is planted, all 3 Holladay Gardens will have tossed salad greens and other early spring crops growing in them and will be harvested mostly in April, May and June.
All of the South Jordan Gardens will be planted in mid-May with lots of summer crops.
Other things we need help with next week:
Need help hauling horse manure...
a short distance from the Equestrian Park in South Jordan over to TWO of our South Jordan Gardens BEFORE we till these gardens. If you have a TRUCK and can take a load and just dump it on the garden anytime during next week let me know. We will spread it out all over the garden as a group.
About the Wheeler Farm CSA Open House….
I need to get the banner and postcards back from you soon. Bring them tomorrow if you are coming or let me know when I can get them. Need them soon.
Help needed with another upcoming Fair
Friday, March 21, 8 - 5 PM or any part of that day. Held in Sandy, Utah at the Larry Miller Convention Center near I-15 and 9300 South.